When I arrived home around 9:00 pm Jill, Jess' mom, and I were sitting there talking when I heard Maddox start SCREAMING! At first I thought, 'oh great, Mason is teasing him again.' When it kept going I decided to go back there. (This brings back memories of another time when Maddox was calling my name and crying and I was ignoring him because he didn't sound hurt. When I finally went to check on him, he was laying on the ground with the changing table on top of him. Don't worry, he wasn't hurt. I know my cries. He was just mad that he was stuck.)
Okay, back to my story.... screaming, screaming, screaming... Mason was in there trying to see what was wrong with him. Maddox was screaming "my arm, my arm!" Mason said, "daddy pulled his arm." I noticed Maddox had a heating pad on his arm and he was NOT moving it.
After much time trying to figure out where it hurt, what happened, trying to get him to stop crying, and convincing him to try to sit up so I could look at it, I decided to take him to the ER. I didn't feel like I was over reacting because I have had a broken arm before and I remember no one believing me that it hurt except my mom. It didn't LOOK broken. But, I also hesitated because Jill thought I should give it until morning, I couldn't get a hold of Jess, and we are still paying ER bills from when Maddox was in the hospital in June.
I decided to call my SIL Erin and my friend Merridee. Both of them have had young kids that have broken their arms and I wanted to know what to really look for. I didn't get a hold of either of them, which I thought was weird. I then decide I had better just go. I had visions of him waking up in the middle of the night screaming and I SO did not want to go to the ER at 2:30 in the morning.
Jess ended up calling me back on my way there so I had more of an idea of what happened. Jess was holding his hands and walking with him when Maddox went limp and dropped, yanking on his arm. We have all been there, so you will want to keep reading. :-)
I arrived at the ER at about 9:30 pm. I was shocked when they looked right at me and asked me if I needed to see a doctor. They checked us in and took us immediately back to a cubicle. The doctor came in right away, asked us what happened, checked his arm, asked what time it happened, and then told me what was wrong. He still wanted to take x-rays to make sure he was right and that there wasn't a fracture.
It turned out that he had what they call Nursemaid's Elbow.
Nursemaid's elbow is the name given for an injury where one bone of the elbow joint is pulled out of place and gets stuck in that position. This usually occurs when lifting or pulling the child by one or both arms.
This injury is due to a weakness in the ligaments of the elbow that some children have at this age. It is usually easy to correct by your doctor, but may recur if the arm is pulled again. Ligaments strengthen by five years of age and nursemaid's elbow will not occur after that.
The doctor said that it was such a good thing that I was able to get him in within four hours because after that it is very hard to correct. He had a child a few weeks earlier that didn't come in until twelve hours later and he was not able to fix it. What happens in this case, I am not sure.
These are the things I was sitting there feeling grateful for as I was waiting for the x-rays to come back.
1. That my SIL and friend did not answer the phone. Otherwise, I might have waited it out and not taken him in right away.
2. That the ER was not busy and he was able to get back there within 3 hours from when it happened.
3. Obviously, that he did not have to wear a cast. Thank goodness!!
4. That I decided to trust the spirit, my instincts, my gut and not waited until morning.
5. That I actually WON at Bunco so I had candy to take to keep Maddox happy! :-)
At about 10:45 the doctor came in, Jess was there by then, and they both sat Maddox up to fix his arm. He found the ligament, pushed on it, flexed the arm, and popped it back in place. Maddox screamed and cried for about a minute. Five minutes later, he was perfect, happy, and ready to go. He turned and said to me, "Does that doctor know magic?" Aw, if only all ER visits ended in only two hours with a perfect, complete cure.
Sorry! These were taken with my phone. Who remembers to bring a camera to the ER?

18 comments:
Wow, what a crazy story. I'm glad everything's o.k. I've never heard of that before. What a GOOD mom!!
Poor Maddox - it sounds like you need to get used to ER visits because that kid likes to make them :) yeah for winning at Bunco!!
So glad that you went with your gut feeling!! Poor little guy, I am glad everything is okay.
And... if you do want to do Bunco in October I am all for it. I know you love Halloween and will do a great job! What month did you have again?? June? Thanks for switching.
Poor little guy. I'm glad he's back to himself again. Jaden had that happen to his shoulder once when we had left him at your parent’s house. Nobody had seen him fall or anything so I wasn't sure why or how his arm could seem to hurt so bad. I took him right in also and was glad that I did.
poor Maddox! He is so cute in his pics. I'm glad everything turned out ok. You are one of the best Moms I know, you never over react, but you always know just what to do and when! Thank goodness for Phoenix that you're my friend!
I'm glad he is okay. I always hate the going to the Dr. debate. It is like we have to justify taking them in but most of the time I am so glad I did. Caitlyn did the same thing when she was 18 months old. It was so weird. I knew what it was because Sarah's daughter had it happen a lot and thought she had popped it back into place but she still wasn't acting right. A few hours later she came up the stairs and was acting normal again. She must have popped it back into place coming up the stairs. Good to know the Dr said not to wait past four hours, I didn't know. We have never pulled our kids by the arms again.
That is so sad. Glad it is over. That kid seems like he is the only one that gets hurt.
We know that ER room too. We are thinking of getting a season pass there.
Whoever was the host at your Bunce was a GENIUS for getting candy.
I am SO glad everything worked out. I always worry about popping little Megan's arms out of socket. Now I know to get her to the doctor right away if it ever happens!
We had our first experience with the ER today ourselves, so I can totally empathize with you!! I read this post to Adam and he was like "See, Liz knows EXACTLY how you feel!!!"
Liz i know i already left a message but i need help. i tried to change my backround and it wouldnt let me. so i thought i had a different website. so i did as it siad and put the sampler one on and saved it. then i picked the one i wanted did all that stuff. then i saved it and it was like it needs to be fullly closed. but i need help'
Keep those doctor bills coming. I feel your pain. Thank goodness for camera phones to take pictures and to waist time while sitting in the ER. You have such a great spirit. I love you!
I was glad that I didn't answer either after you explained things to me. He is going to be that ONE child for you. I love that guy!
Wow. Who knew you had such a night! I feel bad I was at home soaking up that winning feeling and you were in the ER. I guess you must've been inspired to take the candy and give me the gift card. Maddox looks so cute. I think that happened to Marie's little girl.
Hunter does this all the time so good to know. Good thing you listened I probably would have waited till morning. Maddox is a tough kid.
Liz and Jess
Sound like you two have a time at the hospital Just like us! We took tucker 2 times last week. Glad you went with your gut feeling!
That is so sad. I had never heard of "nursemaids elbow" before. Thanks for the info. My kids go limp on me all the time when they don't want to go into time out. I should probably look out for that. How brave was your little guy when the doctor had to pull the elbow back into place. I think you are right, no matter what, always follow the spirit. I'm glad you listened.
I am constantly carrying Chloe and pulling her up by one arm while holding David. Sometimes I wonder If I should take her in when I pull too hard, good thing you went in, in time. Glad he's okay! Bunco was so fun, great to get away for awhile. Let me know if you need a Sub. for Oct. ahead of time so I can get a sitter.
I'm glad that everything is okay. Aren't you glad for a moms instinct! By the way, I love your dark hair - you look great :)
Post a Comment