About a month ago my friend Nicole, who is over the primary program for our ward, called and asked me if Mason would sing a song for his part. My first thought was, "oh crap, everyone is going to find out my son is tone deaf!" I know, I am a horrible mother. But, because I hate saying no, I told her I would see if he was able to do it. I was less stressed when she told me that if he wasn't comfortable singing the song that maybe he could just speak the words to the music.
Two weeks later, when I had completely forgotten I told her yes, my kids parts were dropped off. "Shoot," I thought. It was Friday and their first practice was going to be on Sunday. In two days I was going to have to convince him to do the song AND teach it to him. I was shocked that he was so willing to go along with it. He said, "They want me to sing my part?" I said, "Yep!" He shrugged and said, "Okay."
Thankfully he can read now so I didn't have to teach him the words! As we started going through it, I was getting nervous because he wasn't singing any of the right notes. I turned to him, somewhat frustrated, (okay, I'm a jerk!) and said, "Mason, you want to sing the notes I am playing." Suddenly complete understanding flooded his face. He said, "Ohhh, I sing the notes the piano plays! Okay!" From then on he hit every note perfectly. I was shocked!!! I could not believe it! For the last four years I have totally thought he was tone deaf. I don't know what on earth he thought he was suppose to do, but something just clicked.
Anyway, today was the proud day! I had to wait until he went through with it to post his song. I really thought he would back out but he never once seemed scared. He has completely surprised me. He did such an amazing job and I am so proud of him! I just feel sorry for the poor guy because now his mom is going to be asking him to sing all the time. :-)
8 years ago

15 comments:
that video is so cute! i love it!! he is a great singer...and such a stud!
Man, our family missed the best Sunday of the year, The primary program. Hope it all went good.
I KNEW you could not have a child that couldn't sing! I TOLD YOU!! He looks so adorable in his church clothes. He did great, tell him Bobby and Jessi are proud and can't wait to hear it in person next time we're over. :)
What a cute boy!! I LOVE that he was willing to do it and what a great job!! Alexis loves to sing too maybe we they could do a duet!! :) Love the music gene!!
Aw, that is so sweet. What a trooper he is and he has a lovely voice. Isn't it amazing that he could actually sing but just didn't realise to sing the right notes. You must be so proud of him. He is seriously the image of you!
~Mandy
how sweet is that? he looks like a little missionary all dressed up so nice and looking very handsome!
Maybe one day it will just click for me too and I won't sound tone deaf. . . but then again maybe not! I haven't commented on your blog for a while so I just wanted to tell you that I really like your darker hair- and I really like that you wear hats a lot because now I don't feel so bad!
No way a kid can be tone deaf belonging to you? He sounds great! You sound great to on the piano. What a proud mom you should be! Cute kid.
He did so great! After church Alan must have mentioned how good he did at least three times. It brought a great spirit and I am so glad that we decided to do it. Tell him I said thanks again and thank you to you for teaching it to him!!!
Oh, that video made my night! What a sweet little guy! I LOVED it!
Oh and yeah, it was you that I tagged...I thought you might have fun with it!
What do you mean he is sound deaf? That was way great for him. At least we know where he gets that. LOL. Tell him good job.
He sings so great, just like his mommy! I was glad I was able to stay in sacrament and hear the whole thing!
Wow- Good job Mason. I would have never been able to do that. Liz maybe you should start teaching voice lessons. I still need your c.d.
I am so sad i missed that. What a brave boy. Nicholas would have cried the whole time if i made him do that.
I hear all this talk of how you sing, how come i have never heard you sing in sacrament?
YOU SHOULD BE A PROUD MOM!! HE DID AN AMAZING JOB! I THINK I MADE HIM A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE WHEN I GAVE HIM A HUG AND TOLD HIM HOW GOOD HE DID! LOL
Post a Comment