We decided not to put our kids in soccer for the fall season this year. There have been times of guilt, but for the most part, it has been better for us. When the weekends come we are able to leave town. During the week the kids have more time to just go outside and play. I don't think either one of them is missing it. I know they will be grateful they had the break when January comes and baseball starts. This will mean practice and games at least 3 times a week for both of them. So, I am opting to really enjoy this time.
Anyway, our weekend started with mine and Jess' first softball game. Yes, you heard me right. We joined a co-ed softball team. It's actually really amusing considering he is unbelievably good at baseball/softball and I have never played before. But, he is a great teacher and we are playing with our really good friends, Bobby, Jessi, and Brandee. Needless to say, it was a blast and we won our first two games. Hopefully we can keep it up! I'll have to remember to take my camera to one of our games. So instead of softball pictures, here are just some I really like!
The rest of the weekend we spent holed up watching conference. I have to say that we accomplished something pretty amazing in our household this weekend. This might not seem like anything to some of you, but for us, it was new and memorable. We were able to watch all four sessions as a family. Yes, even Claire stayed in the room the entire time. Usually we skip a session here or there. Or, we send the kids outside so we can hear. But, thanks to my good friend Nicole and her handy little conference packet, my kids sat happily in the room filling it out. When they needed a break from that, popcorn is always a cure. They will do anything for popcorn. As for Jess and I, we kept our hands busy and were just able to listen and feel the spirit. It was so nice! Jess shortened our blinds, which I am totally excited about, and I cut jean squares for a quilt. Productive and blissful! How can you beat that? We even gave Jess a hair cut. Don't worry Jessi, it was just a trim!
After the Saturday session we headed out to my parents. Several of my brothers and sisters were there. We ate, talked, and played games. All in all, it was just a great weekend. No worries!

11 comments:
Sounds busy to me but being with family all weekend is what life is about. Can't wait till Friday!
WOW- that was amazing. My kids we not as good I finally kicked them out so I could listen. I don't know how you did it. I had the packets, but Hunter just couldn't sit still for longer than 15 mins. Oh well i will have to read most of them when the come out.
This is also the first year that our kids actually behaved somewhat and watched conference. It was so nice and I actually took notes, which helped so much and I can look back and see which speaker talked about what topic. We were also trying to teach the boys to say the Prophets name. They just like to call him Thomas :) I think it's a good idea that you didn't put the boys in Soccer this season. Look at all the family time you guys have. Glad you had a blissful weekend. That Jean quilt looks like it's gonna be great. Don't forget to post the pics!
~Mandy
We want to see pics of all you playing softball! That is so fun:)
Wow all 4 sessions!!!! I am so impressed. What was in those packets? Sudafed or Nyquil? SO good to see pics of your adorable family.
I was so thankful for those packets as well. We were only able to do one session though. Even Jaxon sat there coloring. It was nice to have the kids feel the spirit as well. As Brayden was coloring he all of a sudden started singing I am a Child of God. It was a good lesson to teach the kids that the good feeling they had as they were CTR and listening to the prophet that they were feeling the spirit. It is good to be able to recognize it so young! Any way thank you too Nicole.
The quilt looks great. I am glad you like the packets. We enjoyed them too. I am going to save them and use them next year. It is funny, my friend who sent them to me is working on a jean quilt too! So have you heard about our meeting the night of bunco?
Well, you told me about your weekend, but it's so much better to see it in pictures! I LOVE Claire on the table, her hair is sooo cute like that! And, I love Mason and Maddox in their sports gear. Dn't feel guilty about soccer, I didn't start until I was 8. Great job on the quilt too!! :)
Thanks for all the things that you said about Braydon. That was so nice to hear. And we are so glad that Mason is in his class and they are FINALLY friends. I didn't think it would matter a such a young age. But I am already so thankful for good friends.
I'm slacking on the conference part. I'm not sure where our packets ended up? I do much better reading the Ensign.
I'm bad and drove to Arizona to see my best friend from elem. school. It was an interesting trip to take with five kids by myself!
We need a season off from sports too. I am soooo burned out. It's that guilt thing though....I can't do it. Maybe next season we'll sit out. (that's what I say every season)
Post a Comment